During this Original Instructions School Doula Certification training you will receive invaluable knowledge about the birth process as well as an extensive skill set for working with pregnant mothers and their families until their child(ren) have arrived to this world.
Like all of our Original Instructions certification programs our Birth Doula certification training is committed to providing our students with an impeccable education while keeping the Original Instructions for humanity and ancestral wisdom as our guiding force.
Our Doula Certification curriculum is structured in a dynamic way which bridges evidence-based learning with remembering the wisdom of grandmothers past. Module 1 (Birth Doula Certification) begins with a two-day-long training workshop during which you will receive 11 hours of theoretical education and 4 hours of practical skills training at a retreat style venue.
Attendance to your two day-long Doula Certification workshop includes:
- 15 hours of class time with our Original Instructions teachers and guest speakers
- All class materials for hands-on skills practicing and make n' take projects
- Optional "Weaving Your Medicine" ceremony directly following the end of class on the second day
- Drinking water, medicinal teas, and coffee
During this two day workshop, Original Instructions teacher Brittany Jade Gelinas will train and inform attendees how to support, nourish and advocate for mothers and their families during
Students receiving their Original Instructions Birth Doula Certification are also taught to;
- Practice herbal medicine and make medicinal spritzers, balms, baths, remedies and more
- Address and care for a history of sexual trauma with clients
- Support women experiencing a miscarriage or stillbirth
- Advocate for the reproductive rights of clients
- Practice traditional uterine massage when applicable
After completing your two-day-long workshop training you will then be in the process of your one on one long-distance learning. Your long distance learning will consist of four lessons, one lesson each week for four weeks. Each lesson takes the average student about one hour to complete.
In addition to your four lessons, we require that our Doula students read (or have previously read within the past four years) our required reading list. Our required reading list for Module 1 consists of eight books.
Once you have completed your training hours, long distance lessons and required reading you will schedule a video conference with one of our Original Instructions Doula Certification instructors at your convenience. During your video conference, the instructor who taught your workshop and has been overseeing your long distance learning will confirm that you have met all requirements, send you our standards of care and scope of practice agreement to sign and process your certification diploma.